Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Classic Summer

On this sleepless night, I made a detour from my kitchen to do the dishes to our desktop to check out Ft. Drum's library website( I'm sure I gave myself a good excuse at the time, can't remember it now though... ). While perusing their catalog and my Goodreads 'to read' list simultaneously, I realized that there were so many "classic" novels that I have always meant to read but never have. So I thought, considering I have no life right now(seriously), why not? I know that if one day I intend to teach English, I need to have read what I will be referencing. I was thinking that I should probably be studious about it and take notes. And then I thought, duh, I'll blog about them.

And so, after much Googleing and list-searching, I came up with a list of 15. I have no doubt that I will need to take a few "intellectual breaks" to read what are referred to as "beach books", or my favorite term used by an English prof of mine, smut. But I intend to stick with my list.

Hannah's Classic Summer List:
1. The Grapes of Wrath ~ John Steinbeck
2. The Handmaid's Tale ~ Margaret Atwood
3. Pygmalion ~ George Bernard Shaw
4. Wuthering Heights ~ Emily Bronte
5. Middelmarch ~ George Eliot
6. Les Miserables ~ Victor Hugo
7. The Red Badge of Courage ~ Stephen Crane
8. Madame Bovary ~ Gustave Flabert
9. The Woman in White ~ Wilkie Collins
10. The Lord of the Rings ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
11. Lolita ~ Vladmir Nabokov
12. Brideshead Revisited ~ Evelyn Waugh
13. Emma ~ Jane Austen
14. The Picture of Dorian Gray ~ Oscar Wilde
15. Gone With the Wind ~ Margaret Mitchell


There are a few that I have already read, or had began to read and lost interest. Sometimes I've found that at one point in my life I am unable to relate to a book, but when I pick it up years later, I love it!

I'm excited to begin, but I'll have to figure out how to coerce Jared into going to the library for me. We're using one car right now, and since he's the one that works everyday, he gets to go to the library too I guess! :)
I can't wait to begin, and I'll even fill you in on my smutty reading too!

No comments:

Post a Comment