Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pinterest Challenge!- It Don't Mean a Thing if You're Shower Won't Drain!

I was thinking about all of the really cool things that I see on Pinterest and I was really wanting to share my attempts at all of the recipes, cleaning/organizing tips, and other fun stuff on here. But I want to do that without ripping off the idea. And so, when my posts say 'Pinterest Challenge", it means I nabbed the idea from Pinterest(duh, lol), and I will do everything I can to make sure to give credit where it is due. :)

I have naturally curly hair that is, in fact, getting pretty long(inward happy dance. this has taken me years!), and so, it is ALWAYS falling out. By the hand full. It's really amazing that I am not bald by now. Nope, I look like this:


 My poor husband finds it everywhere, except his food. So of course, it comes out in the shower. I try and keep most of it from going down the drain, but it doesn't always work. What I am left with is an occasionally clogged shower drain. Yuck. You know what this means. Nasty, standing water. No one wants that when they are trying to bathe!
Whilst perusing Pinterest recently, I came across this post for a DIY drain cleaner. BINGO!! No one likes spending money on Draino. And since this has only two ingredients that most housewives have on hand, how could I say no to trying it?
You can click on the link above for the recipe, but here is what I did.
 I started out with maybe half a cup of baking powder and probably about that much white vinegar because my drain was so clogged there was no way I was getting a cup of each in there. Plus the plumbing is super old. I was kind of scared to mess it up. But onward I marched.

It fizzes up really fast, so have your plug on hand.
After the first try, I ended up clearing out some of the clog by hand(yay) because it was close to the surface. And then I repeated the process.

I have now cleaned out my shower(the mess was not pretty) and all seems to be well!

Tomorrows shower will reveal all, but for now I deeming this one a success!

I plan to clean my drains about once a month with this solution so I can avoid spending all evening in the bathroom in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment